Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A need for change

Yesterday was a very low point for me. I went through the day feeling empty, like a zombie. Over the past few weeks I have felt more and more like this, it tends to start out small and build up. I was having a hard time feeling much enjoyment in anything, whether it was house work or crafting and everything in between. To be honest I never really enjoy housework, come on, who does? But for me to have to desire to craft, that is a different story. My kids needed me, the house needed me etc. but I just couldn't get myself to do anything. I felt like my head was caught in a fog and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't think clearly. To make things worse, I was feeling very irritable. So as my kids asked me for things, I snapped at them, only making everyone feel worse.
When the hubby came home I begged for some much needed alone time and jumped in the car. And what did I do? Nothing fancy I promise you! I went to Walmart. Yup thats right. I spent my alone time running boring errands. But at least I was ALONE! I looked like a wreak, I promise that! Frizzy hair, no make up, hoodie the works! Then because I eat when I am down, I went to McDonalds. Another great decicion on my part. But it was so good! I sat in the car, ate greasy food, diet coke and snickers! (picked up at Walmart)
Got home and finally opened up to the hubby which was a great help. For some reason I always try to keep my feelings inside, but it does feel so great to get it out when I do. It really helps to have someone who really understands what you are going through. Someone who has been through it also. To me that happens to be one of my best girl friends. I wrote about her in a post on my family blog. She is such a strength to me. It was her who forced me to go talk to my doctor today. She reccognized how bad I was doing yesterday and helped me do what I couldn't do alone. I guess I hadn't quite realized how bad I had gotten, but I see it today and I am working on it. Thanks to the hubby, the friend, the doctor and some new happy pills, I am on the road to feeling better.
Also, I got up and worked out this morning. It was so good! This is another thing that I forget helps me. When I feeling so down, the last thing I want to do is get off the couch and get sweaty. But it makes such a difference! So I am making it a goal to do it every morning. My church offers work out classes every morning for free, yeah!! That will help a ton. Also, they are at a reasonable hour, not the butt crack of dawn!
Before I leave I want to share something my doctor told me today. We were talking about how hard it is for many people to understand depression. He told me he often compares depression to diabetes when explaining it to people. With both, diet and exercise are very important things to getting feeling better. But with both, medication is a very important thing for SOME people. Without it you can die.....

No comments:

Post a Comment